1. Carbohydrates should be the staple food. At least half of the calories in the diet should come from carbohydrate foods. This nutrient is the main source of energy for the body and is found in cereals, rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and, of course, also in legumes.
2. Take advantage of minimally processed foods, fresh and seasonal. This allows you to use products at their best both from the standpoint of organoleptic (taste and aroma) and from the nutritional point of view. The availability of vitamins and minerals is higher in fresh and minimally processed.
3. Using olive oil as the main added fat. It is a food rich in vitamin E, beta-carotene and monounsaturated fatty acids that confer cardioprotective properties. Olive oil is the staple of the Mediterranean diet is the healthiest cooking fat.
4. Eating plant foods in abundance: fruits, vegetables, legumes and nuts. Fruits, vegetables and legumes are the main source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber in our diet. Fruits and vegetables provide a lot of water, legumes are an important source of protein and healthy fat nuts.
5. Moderate consumption of fatty meats and eat more fish and eggs. Poultry and rabbit meat and certain cuts of beef, beef and pork (loin, sirloin) are lower in fat. Fatty meats should be eaten in moderation for the fish, we should consume at least 2 pieces per week.
6. Proper hydration is important for healthy eating. In addition to water supplied by food (especially fruits and vegetables) is necessary to acquire the habit of drinking mainly water for at least 5 cups a day.
7. The variety of food should be fundamental law. To be healthy, you need to eat every day foods from all groups, since there is no food that contains all the nutrients you need throughout the day.
8. Consuming dairy products daily, preferably skimmed. This food group is the main source of dietary calcium. Also provide vitamins A and D, which can also be found in skim products, with less calories and fats.
9. Eat five servings of fruit a day. Fresh fruit can be eaten any time of day, breakfast, dessert or snack. The intake of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber combined with low energy intake contribute to achieving a healthy diet. Try to take 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
10. Daily exercise complements a proper diet. To complete a healthy lifestyle is to combine the power with the practice of physical activity. The exercise will help us be more positive and elevate our mood.